Thursday, October 18, 2012

We are at least 6 years into "The Long Goodbye".  I took her to Savannah with me in October of 2006 and really started to notice symptoms then.  After eating in a Zaxby's in Jacksonville and commenting how she'd never eaten in one, two days later she announced, "I've never eaten in one of those!"  I was amazed as I announced, "YES YOU HAVE...just 48 hours ago!!"

Although they were infrequent, it was these types of conversations that made me start to wonder about her health.  The only problem was, my Mother had not seen a doctor in over 20 years.  And, according to her, she was "FINE!"  So I would wait and watch and watch and wait.

Although I am sure there are many more instances between August 2006 and July 2008, the next big "We've-gotta'-do-something-to-help-her" moments came during a cruise we took as a family.  Mom left her hairbrush in Tampa and had a panic attack over it early after we left the shore.  Every day after that, she'd announce, "I cannot find my hairbrush!"  To which I'd remind her that she didn't bring it with her to begin with!  Additionally, during that week we noticed the need to help her navigate more.  She couldn't remember that she had a drink card that allowed her to get sodas anytime she wanted.  The sixth night of the cruise, another waiter said she could "swipe her card" to get a coke.  She said, "That's the first time I've used that all week!"  Exasperated, I couldn't take it.  My brother and I had a meeting of the minds and decided we were going to push her harder to go to the doctor.

I wish I could say that she went willingly shortly after that time.

But she didn't.

It was about two more years before I had had enough.  I will spare the ways we pushed her to go to the doctor.  Suffice it to say, I had to make the appointment, push the doctor's office to even schedule it against her will, and then show up and force her to go.  It took another 6 - 9 months before she had any sort of diagnosis.  Soon, she had a diagnosis of Dementia, though the doctor was quite vague with us about what was happening with her.  And all along she continued to tell us she was "fine" and told all of her friends we "thought she was crazy" and we were trying to have her "locked up".

I've been wanting to document the story for some time now.  And there are many many gaps to fill in between there and here.  But I have to start somewhere.  So there's the first post...a little glimpse into her.  They call it "The Long Goodbye" and I totally understand.  This is my little place to give others a glimpse into  leaving slowly.  Because that's what is happening.  There's much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment